To create the best first impression, you should wear the appropriate outfit for your interview. Interviewers spend only a few minutes with each candidate, and they form opinions within seconds after looking at the candidate.
While the dress code may be different with each company, you must follow some general guidelines if you want to be hired after the interview.
Interview Dressing Tips
You should choose your interview outfit based on the employer, location and time of the year. When in doubt, choose traditional outfits.
- Men can always choose dark-coloured suits with matching ties to create a good impression. In most cases, dressing down is not appropriate.
- Women have various options, but you should be comfortable with what you wear. Suits are always a safe bet, but make sure that the skirt is long enough to sit comfortably.
- You can also wear other workplace outfits if suits are not your style.
- Professional hairstyles are best for interviews as they appear less messy.
- While choosing accessories, ensure that they are not loud. A briefcase or interview bags are more appropriate than a purse or a clutch.
- The interview is not the right place to make a fashion statement, and your dressing style should be elegant. If you have piercings, remove them and wear an earring maximum.
- Cover up your tattoos if they showcase your wild lifestyle.
- Your attire must be properly washed and pressed before the interview.
- Your shoes should be clean and polished.
- Keep your hair and nails appropriately trimmed ahead of the interview.
Professional dressing shows your interest in respecting yourself, interviewers and the company. Dressing wisely also increases the chances of landing the job if all other things go well!